Our congregation partners with and supports a variety of community groups that align with our focus areas for social action:
- Racial Justice
- Immigration and Refugee Support
- Homelessness and Poverty Reduction
- Substance Abuse Reduction
- LGBTQ+ Equality and Safety
- Environment and Creation Care
- Elder Care
We choose the community organizations we support based on the following criteria:
- Their alignment with the Mission & Social Action goals in our church’s strategic plan.
- Their service to the Washington DC area community.
- Our ability to get involved as volunteers.
Organizations we currently work with include:
- Racial Justice: Justice & Witness Action Network
- Immigration and Refugee Support: AsylumWorks, and Sanctuary DMV
- Homelessness and Poverty Reduction: Shaw Community Center, Friendship Place, Jubilee Jobs, and St. Paul’s Food Pantry
- Substance Abuse Reduction: Twelve Step Groups (we host four groups/week in our building)
- LGBTQ+ Equality and Safety: Joseph’s House, Whitman-Walker Health, and Casa Ruby
- Environment & Creation Care: Interfaith Power and Light
- Elder Care: Cleveland and Woodley Park Village
A significant portion of each year’s mission budget also goes to Our Church’s Wider Mission to support several UCC domestic and international social action ministries.
If you are interested in learning more or joining the Mission & Social Action Committee in this important work, please contact our Mission & Social Action Chair at email@example.com.